SQL Server 2005 / 2008 support
Sebastien FLAESCH
2007-12-13 08:57:52 UTC
Dear all,

I am new to this mailing list and want to introduce myself and our product / company.

My name is Sebastien FLAESCH and I am in charge of the database interfaces at Four J's Development Tools.

Our product is a Informix 4gl compatible compiler / runtime system.

I wrote all database interfaces to:
- Oracle (OCI),
- DB2 UDB (CLI),
- SQL Server (ODBC and Native Client),
- PostgreSQL (libpq),
- MySQL (libmysqlclient),
- Sybase ASA (dblib*),
- ANTs (ODBC).

We have a large customer base using Informix and some of them want to migrate to SQL Server, but keeping the apps on Unix.

We already had a look at DataDirect drivers - working quite well by the way - but license is too expensive for our customers.

Now we started to look at FreeTDS...

Understand we do not just write a light driver to let 4gl programmers do a few SELECT / INSERT / UPDATE / DELETE statements;
We talk about a supporting a complex OLTP application programming language (Informix 4gl).

We need a full support of ODBC (or any other API that gives us the chance to do what we want), with advanced features such as array-fetch,
stored-procedure support (in/out params), blobs, etc.

To be honest I am a bit scared about the status of the FreeTDS project:

- Version is still alpha/beta (0.64) - when you compile FreeTDS you get a debug version by default.
- No scrollable cursors??? (this is very old stuff - now?)
- There is no official support for SQL Server 2005 / 2008 (only TDS 8.0)

PLEASE: What are the plans?

You guys probably know about SQL Server's Native Client that ships with SQL Server 9 (2005).
This one is supposed to replace the old ODBC driver one day, from my understanding.
Are they still using TDS with this Native Client? => Is TDS going to die?

Sorry to be direct but we need to be sure because if we suggest FreeTDS to our customers, it's for a while.

Thanks,
Sebastien FLAESCH
www.4js.com
ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT
2007-12-13 15:14:50 UTC
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
[...]
Great !!!
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
To be honest I am a bit scared about the status of the
- Version is still alpha/beta (0.64) - when you compile
FreeTDS you get a debug version by default.
Don't mind for alpha/beta, is that nobody change it :)
About default configure by default use "-O2 -g" which include debug
informations. If you refer to the ability to always enable logging we
think that this is not a problem.
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
- No scrollable cursors??? (this is very old stuff - now?)
Are supported by CVS. Currently we are next to a release (we hope).
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
- There is no official support for SQL Server 2005 / 2008
(only TDS 8.0)
No, there is some code in CVS and some work on it but not complete
(varchar(max) and other stuff not supported).
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
PLEASE: What are the plans?
You guys probably know about SQL Server's Native Client that
ships with SQL Server 9 (2005).
This one is supposed to replace the old ODBC driver one day,
from my understanding.
No, MS will not support oldl ODBC driver but Native Client provide a new
ODBC driver. The problem was that OLEDB, ODBC and dblib libraries didn't
share so much code so a bug fixed for ODBC had to be ported to OLEDB and
dblib. Native Client is a new library implementation where all libraries
share the same code.
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
Are they still using TDS with this Native Client? => Is TDS
going to die?
Native Client is a new client library but the protocol is still TDS,
extended but still TDS, and I don't think nobody is complaining about
the protocol...
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
Sorry to be direct but we need to be sure because if we
suggest FreeTDS to our customers, it's for a while.
I think that features you require are at 95%. There has been other
company that help our project to get their 100% needs. For instance now
we support Orable binding cause someone support us with testing as we
don't have a Oracle installation.
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
Thanks,
Sebastien FLAESCH
www.4js.com
Regards
Frediano Ziglio
Sebastien FLAESCH
2007-12-17 10:39:46 UTC
Frediano,
Post by ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
- No scrollable cursors??? (this is very old stuff - now?)
Are supported by CVS. Currently we are next to a release (we hope).
Is this committed?

Attached a little ODBC sample using a scrollable cursor.

Tested with SQL Native Client (SQL Server 2005).

Output gives:

Post by ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
fetch 3 0 : 3 [ccc ]
fetch 4 0 : 2 [bbb ]
fetch 4 0 : 1 [aaa ]
fetch 4 0 : no data found
fetch 1 0 : 1 [aaa ]
fetch 1 0 : 2 [bbb ]
fetch 1 0 : 3 [ccc ]
fetch 1 0 : no data found
fetch 2 0 : 1 [aaa ]
fetch 1 0 : 2 [bbb ]
fetch 1 0 : 3 [ccc ]
fetch 5 3 : 3 [ccc ]
fetch 6 -2 : 1 [aaa ]
fetch 6 -2 : no data found
fetch 6 5 : no data found

But with FreeTDS 0.65, I get this:

Error -1 at: SQLFetchScroll
Diagnostic info:
SQL State: HY106
SQL code : 0
Message : [FreeTDS][SQL Server]Fetch type out of range

Using SQL_CURSOR_STATIC does not help:

SQLSetStmtAttr(m_hstmt2, SQL_ATTR_CURSOR_TYPE, (SQLPOINTER) SQL_CURSOR_STATIC, 0);

Am I using the correct version?

Did I miss something?

Thank you.
Seb
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
My name is Sebastien FLAESCH
Good morning, Sebastien. Pleased to make your acquaintance. Welcome to
the project.
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
Understand we do not just write a light driver to let 4gl programmers do
a few SELECT / INSERT / UPDATE / DELETE statements;
FreeTDS is used extensively in many production environments, be assured.
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
- Version is still alpha/beta (0.64) - when you compile FreeTDS you get
a debug version by default. - No scrollable cursors??? (this is very old
stuff - now?)
PLEASE: What are the plans?
There is no plan. When and as we have time, we fix things and add things.
You're welcome to join us. It's a volunteer project, and the best
contributions come from people who want the software to do something it
doesn't already do.
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
- There is no official support for SQL Server 2005 / 2008 (only TDS 8.0)
And guess what? There's no official support, full stop. Everything we
know about TDS 7.0 and up is inferred by reverse engineering the TDS
packets. (The only support we get from Microsoft is anti-support. We've
talked to them. They won't provide even documentation. The next time you
read about Microsoft's latest open source marketing blather initiative, do
please bear that simple fact in mind.)

To be clear, we're pretty current. TDS 8.0 *is* for 2005, and 2008 is
still in beta, please. Is there some protocol feature of SQL Server 2005
that you noticed is missing?
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
You guys probably know about SQL Server's Native Client that ships with
SQL Server 9 (2005). This one is supposed to replace the old ODBC driver
one day, from my understanding. Are they still using TDS with this
Native Client? => Is TDS going to die?
Cf. http://blogs.msdn.com/dataaccess/archive/2005/04/26/412161.aspx

Every few years, Microsoft plops a New and Improved API out there for
everyone to ooh and ahh at. That lets them and their groupies declare
they've once again made the world safe for programming.

But TDS itself is a franchise. It's 20 years old. It works with probably
millions of clients and servers. It's very efficient, possibly the best
remote database protocol on the planet. (Yes, it has warts. Show me
software without warts and I'll show you a textbook.) How in the world --
and why? -- would Microsoft damage its advantage? It's one thing to say,
"Use .NET and be cool", and something else to say that old clients can't
connect to new servers or vice versa. Especially because *TDS* isn't a
feature most people even know about, and would be devilishly hard to
improve on.

As Acey J. Bunch says above,

"It is new in that this data access library did not exist prior to SQL
Server 2005, but rest assured that it is not some radical new design for
accessing data!"

I think we can say TDS is safe for another day.

Regarding the issues you raised. As you can tell from Frediano's response
(and I hope from the email archives) we take bug reports seriously. But
please remember we'll work with you, not for you. The more you do to
correct/isolate a problem, the sooner it will be fixed. Suggestions,
ordered by decreasing helpfulness:

1. Use the latest snapshot. That's where any fixes/additions will be
made.
2. Send a patch.
3. Add a unit test illustrating the problem.
4. Describe the problem in terms of the source code. "Function X on
lines Y-Z overwrites foo without adjusting the length in bar" can be a
good place to start.
5. Include a TDSDUMP trace. That shows us the packet sequence and
calling sequence.

Sebastien, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Regards,

--jkl
Sebastien FLAESCH
2007-12-13 16:16:09 UTC
Hi James and thank you for your comments/advices.

I understand this is a open source project, no problem.

I will try to get the latest dev version from the CVS repository.

As a side note I would suggest that someone adds from time to time a news
on the web site, last news is from April 2005. By the way the text of the
new shows 0.63, but the link to the ANNOUNCE has 0.64 in the text.

Best regards.
Seb
Sebastien FLAESCH
2007-12-13 17:16:23 UTC
Downloaded "current" version from this link:

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/ALPHA/freetds/current/freetds-current.tgz

Then I ran:

./configure --prefix=/opt3/dbs/tds/0.65 --with-odbc-nodm=/opt3/dbs/uxo/3.0

(using ODBC headers from unixODBC).

But could not manage to compile the ODBC driver:

if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../include -D_FREETDS_LIBRARY_SOURCE -DTDS_NO_DM -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -DDEBUG=1 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wno-long-long -pthread -g -O2 -Wdeclaration-after-statement -MT bsqlodbc.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/bsqlodbc.Tpo"
-c -o bsqlodbc.o bsqlodbc.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/bsqlodbc.Tpo" ".deps/bsqlodbc.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/bsqlodbc.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
bsqlodbc.c:49:17: sql.h: No such file or directory

Seb
Sebastien FLAESCH
2007-12-13 17:34:51 UTC
Note I did the same process with 0.64 (stable release) without problems.

I am using --with-odbc-nodm because I don't want to use a driver manager.

Adding "/include" to the path does not help with 0.65 dev version.

Seb
Frediano Ziglio
2007-12-13 18:04:03 UTC
Il giorno gio, 13/12/2007 alle 18.34 +0100, Sebastien FLAESCH ha
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
Note I did the same process with 0.64 (stable release) without problems.
I am using --with-odbc-nodm because I don't want to use a driver manager.
Adding "/include" to the path does not help with 0.65 dev version.
Seb
I think this should solve

diff -u -r1.22 Makefile.am
--- src/apps/Makefile.am 4 Jun 2007 21:10:36 -0000 1.22
+++ src/apps/Makefile.am 13 Dec 2007 18:02:27 -0000
@@ -30,6 +30,7 @@
bsqlodbc_LDADD = ../odbc/libtdsodbc.la \
../replacements/libreplacements.la \
$(ODBCLIB) $(NETWORK_LIBS)
+bsqlodbc_CPPFLAGS = $(ODBC_INC)
endif

defncopy_LDADD = ../dblib/libsybdb.la \

we don't use your path building bsqlodbc... you can get however odbc
driver compiled running make in src/odbc... or wait tomorrow snapshot :)

freddy77
James K. Lowden
2007-12-14 01:21:12 UTC
Post by Sebastien FLAESCH
As a side note I would suggest that someone adds from time to time a
news on the web site, last news is from April 2005. By the way the text
of the new shows 0.63, but the link to the ANNOUNCE has 0.64 in the
text.
Thanks for pointing that out. The project really could use someone who'd
like to be the webmaster. But meanwhile I should make more of an effort
to keep it up to date.

--jkl
Reid, Roger L.
2007-12-13 16:42:11 UTC
James, if you can put this conversation, Gradus ad Parnassus style, to a prominent place in the bit of documentation
that the project has (or as a readme in the source?) you'd do yourself and newcomers a real favor, I think.

Mythology always needs a "genesis" chapter for the newcomer, and I think what you wrote to help SF may qualify well.

Funny thing about the MS "anti-support". Last time I read their Sybase->SQL Server porting tome, it was explicit that FreeTDS was the only way to keep your Unix/Linux etc programs running if you moved the database to SQL Server. (Of course, only until you finish rewriting your unattended Unix reporting job into an interactive wizard that requires 20 minutes of George Jetson button clicking every time you want to run it. Good for full employment, if nothing else!)

BTW, to be fair to MS, they dropped dblib support long ago. It runs in 2005 and 2008, but you can't get it from them, you need
to get it off an old 2000 install.

packets.
James K. Lowden
2007-12-14 04:49:13 UTC
Post by Reid, Roger L.
(Of course, only until you finish rewriting your unattended Unix
reporting job into an interactive wizard that requires 20 minutes of
George Jetson button clicking every time you want to run it. Good for
full employment, if nothing else!)
ROFL!

Good advice. Belongs in the FAQ, methinks.

Regards,

--jkl